My Entries Me You Misc

Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Speed Racer Movie Review


I have already posted this review on my multiply but I wanna share it too with other non-multipliers (lolz, that was a weird word) I figured that this blog needs spicening up and I'm trying to find specific things to do with it like do a bunch of reviews or something. I was inspired by yet again another Filipino blogger who left his day job and started blogging full time. I wanna leave a legacy on the net too, if just little by little. So here's my review of Speed Racer!!


I love all kinds of anime, animes about cooking, fantasy, blah blah but there was this particular cartoon which didn't catch my interest. It was speed racer. Sure I caught glimpses on cartoon network of a racer and a monkey but I never bothered to stay on the channel. So when it was going to be adapted for a live-action movie, I didn't know what the buzz was about and why it even deserved to be made into a movie. And when finally may 8 came, I just had this excitement to watch the movie. My mummy wanted to watch it too so there it was settled. We were going to watch speed racer.

Here's a synopsis from imdb.com for those who are not familiar with Speed Racer.
"Hurtling down the track, careening around, over and through the competition, Speed Racer is a natural behind the wheel. Born to race cars, Speed is aggressive, instinctive and, most of all, fearless. His only real competition is the memory of the brother he idolized-the legendary Rex Racer - whose death in a race has left behind a legacy that Speed is driven to fulfill. Speed is loyal to the family racing business, led by his father, Pops Racer, the designer of Speed's thundering Mach 5. When Speed turns down a lucrative and tempting offer from Royalton Industries, he not only infuriates the company's maniacal owner but uncovers a terrible secret-some of the biggest races are being fixed by a handful of ruthless moguls who manipulate the top drivers to boost profits. If Speed won't drive for Royalton, Royalton will see to it that the Mach 5 never crosses another finish line. The only way for Speed to save his family's business and the sport he loves is to beat Royalton at his own game. With the support of his family and his loyal girlfriend, Trixie, Speed teams with his one-time rival-the mysterious Racer X - to win the race that had taken his brother's life: the death-defying, cross-country rally known as The Crucible."

The trailer itself was already overloaded with bright and neon colors and I thought that it was going to be painful to watch. And it was. My family wasn't able to catch the first 10 minutes of the movie so when I stepped inside the theatre, we were already in the middle of a very confusing race and at the same time, there was story telling involved. It felt very confusing because a lot of things were going on at once at the speed the Mach 5 was in. This could probably be the cause of us being late, I don't know. So next time i really won't be late!!! So anyways, as the movie progressed, I finally caught on with the story. Mind you, I am a person who has no background regarding speed racer as in NULL, so despite this movie being a willy wonka racing version, I actually understood the movie.

This is definitely not a spiderman movie or what, but what made me give it a 4 star was because, it had an understandable storytelling for me. The brothers-directors did a good job of it. And I do love the RACES! I know rottentomatoes gave it only a 35%, deeming it rotten, and some critics HATED the races, but i disagree. I LOVED IT! Especially the grand prix! I mean, this movie is actually entertaining. Sprite and the Chimp were hilarious without being over the top. Pops was good. Though Christina Ricci was disturbing for me... but still, it was a good movie! And plus, after seeing this movie, i am practically sure that all the kids would scream, "Mommy, i wanna be a racer too!". I know I did =) hehe.

So it's a silly kaleidoscope colors of a movie but what an enjoyable movie!

Labels: , ,


Image hosting by Photobucket


|
stolen @ 7:22 PM